Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Flying

Continuing to celebrate the end of the season as the day approaches where we mark the Ascension with a poem by George Herbert, my favorite seventeenth century man.  May you find your greatest joy in flying upon the wing of His victory this day and all the days ever, my friends.


Easter Wings


                          Lord, who createdst man in wealth and store,
                               Though foolishly he lost the same
                                  Decaying more and more
                                      Till he became
                                         Most poor:
                                         With Thee
                                      O, let me rise
                                   As larks, harmoniously,
                                 And sing this day Thy victories:
                            Then shall the fall further flight in me.

                           My tender age in sorrow did begin:
                                And still with sickness and shame
                                  Thou didst so punish sin
                                       That I became
                                          Most thin
                                          With Thee
                                        Let me combine,
                                    And feel this day Thy victory;
                                  For if I imp my wing on Thine,
                            Affliction shall advance the flight in me.

*imp=a falconry term meaning to mend a damaged wing of a hawk by grafting to it feathers from another bird. (source: Warnke and Witherspoon)
                                        

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful photo!!!!! That one definitely needs framing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! Both your words and your photo.

    ReplyDelete